After many fails and some half triumphs, I made the perfect gluten free sour dough bread. It takes practice and trial and error but I hope this recipe helps save you from uber dense or rock solid bread fails.
I use Schar Mix B Gluten free flour for this.
Gluten Free Sourdough
- 400 g Schar Mix B
- 1/3 cup sour dough starter
- 30 g olive oil
- 400 ml lukewarm water
- To make the dough: mix the starter with 400ml lukewarm water, let sit for a few minutes.
- Add in flour slowly, once combined- add in the olive oil.
- Let sit to rise for at least 2 hours and as long as over night. The dough should be quite wet and stick to your fingers when you touch it.
- Once the dough has risen, pour flour on a flat clean surface and dump the dough onto the flour.
- Sprinkle more flour on top and knead for 5 minutes.
- Once kneaded, the dough should be shapeable os shape it into a smooth ball and place on your cooking tray or in your bread pan to rise again. This rise should be about 1 hour.
- While it is rising, preheat the oven.
- Place a glass bowl filled 2/3 of the way with water onto the bottom of your over- this will create steam and help make a chewy crust to the bread.
- Bake the bread on 200 c for around 45 minutes- you can turn up the heat at the end to add an nice crisp to the top!
Sour Dough Starter
Making your own starter is super simple! All you need is flour, water, and patience. Here is my starter recipe!