These gluten free bagels BLEW MY MIND. I was worried about being able to replicate that perfect chewy texture I remember getting when I made bagels with GBob before celiac, but these are as close to those as possible. When I FaceTimed him to show him my creations, he was so impressed he said he needed to give me his email- which may or may not include the words bagel baker.
Order the Molino flour here! Use the code Jazzie10 for 10% off.
Fool Proof Gluten Free Bagels
Inspired by my Gbob, who taught me everything I know.
- 5 cups Molino flour
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons honey (separated)
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Toppings: I use parmesan and everything but the bagel spice
- Combine the yeast and water in your mixing bowl and wait 5 minutes while it activates.
Add in the salt, 1 tablespoon honey, and the flour into the water and yeast.
- Knead using a mixer and dough hook for 5 mins.
- Once kneaded, use the pull and fold method to create a smooth ball.
- Leave the dough to rise for about 2 hours.
- Once it has risen. Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces. Use a knife or this instead of pulling it to get a smoother crust.
- Roll each slice of dough into a ball and using a finger put a 1.5- 2 inch hole into the middle of each ball.
- Let the shaped bagels sit out for 20 minutes to rest.
Start boiling a pot of water and add in the remaining tablespoon of honey to the water.
- Boil the shaped bagels for 1 minute on each side.
- While the bagels boil preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place them on a baking sheet with a mat on it and egg wash the top of each bagel.
- Pour your seasonings onto a place and dip the top of each bagel into the seasoning.
- Bake the bagels for 25 minutes or until golden.