I don’t know about you, but I am a sucker for anything cheesy and deep fried. Whether it’s mozzarella sticks, cheesy fries, or a personal favorite ARANCINI! I wanted to create a fun recipe for you all in honor of Shavuot filled with cheese but not your classic cheesecake or quiche. Behold, gluten free arancini brought to you in collaboration with Barili.
The gluten free rice shaped Pititim (couscous) from Barili make the perfect base for the filling of these cheesy rice balls.
Gluten Free Arancini
- 1 Bag Barili Pititim (in the shape of rice) or risotto
- 1/3 cup heavy cream for cooking
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Prepare the pititim as instructed on the package.
- Just before they are fully cooked, add the cream and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Take the mixture off the heat and cover it- leaving it to steam and thicken.
- Once cool, shape the risotto into balls and freeze for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Dunk the balls into your egg wash and then into bread crumbs.
- Freeze another 15 minutes to set.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan and fry until golden, about 1 minute per side.
- Serve hot with marinara or other dipping of choice.