I don’t know about you, but for me gnocchi have been a staple during Passover since I was a kid. Traditionally made with potatoes, this sweet potato twist on gluten free gnocchi is sure to become a year round favorite for the whole family.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 1 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Use Kosher for Passover to make K4P
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato roast a whole sweet potato, peel it, and mash it
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic or Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Butter or Non-Dairy Alternative
- Start to bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Lightly flour a flat surface. (I use my counter top but you could use a large cutting board)
- Pour 1 cup of flour onto the surface and add the mashed sweet potato on top.
- Place the salt and garlic to taste (1 tsp each about) on top of the mound you have created.
- Mix this all together using your hands until a dough begins to form.
- Make a small well in the dough and crack the egg into the middle.
- Using your hands, continue to mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- If the dough is still sticking to your hands when combined, add in more flour a little at a time until it doesn't stick and makes a ball.
- Cut the ball into fourths.
- Roll out each fourth into a snake.
- Using a knife, cut the snakes into small pieces about the width of a pinky finger.
- Using a fork, make a small indent in the middle of each piece. (optional)
- Put the pieces to boil and boil about 7-10 minutes until the gnocchi floats.
- Once the gnocchi start to float to the top, heat a pan with 1 tbsp butter.
- Once the gnocchi are floating on the top, drain them and move them to the buttered pan. Fry them lightly in the pan, flipping them after a few minutes so both sides get slightly brown and crispy.
- Top with any sauce of choice. I recommend garlic butter.
Wondering what to pair these with? You can check out my full Pesach lunch menu that I created these for here!