Looking to make a cheese from scratch but don’t know where to start? Bought greek or goat yogurt you don’t know wha to do with? How about making some labneh in the comfort of you own kitchen! It’s easier than you think- I promise.
Want a little background on Labneh? The Nosher wrote up a history! You can read it here.
Homemade Labneh or Soft Yogurt Cheese
- a fine mesh sieve
- cheese cloth
- a bowl about the size of your sieve
- a heavy can for weighing down the cheese
- 500 grams thick goat yogurt if its too thin, add in some greek yogurt
- any herbs or spices you would want to flavor it with
- Place you sieve on top of your bowl. You need to have a few inches of space between the sieve and the bottom of the bowl for the whey to drip.
- Line the sieve with cheesecloth. Make sure the cheesecloth reaches over the sides of the sieve so you can tie it up after you put the yogurt in.
- Pour the yogurt into the cheesecloth. If you use goat yogurt and it is super thin it will run right through. No worries, just mix in some greek yogurt to thicken it and try again!
- Gather all the edges of the cheesecloth and twist the cheesecloth closed around the yogurt.
- Place a heavy can on top of the twisted cheesecloth and place the entire setup into the fridge for 2-4 days.
- Remove the can, at the point the yogurt should have thickened into a soft cheese. You can now put it onto parchment or wax paper and add olive oil or spices and twsit it up into a log shape. Alternativley, you can eat it as is!
- You can use the whey for many things like hair conditioning or feeding to pets!
Looking for something to eat it with? Try these three ingredient healthy crackers!