Traditionally, spanakopita is a delicious, flakey, cheesy Greek spinach pie! My aunt used to make it for our family holiday celebrations and it was always a favorite. This is my low carb, gluten free take on this rich and crispy dish.
Rice Paper Spanakopita
- 1/3 cup ricotta
- 1 small package of spinach
- 1/2 cup of feta crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 8 Rice Papers
- Optional: 1/3 cup of sautéed onions
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put water on to boil or heat up your kumkum.
- Roughly chop your spinach, add in two eggs beaten, the two cheeses, garlic and salt. (And onion if you choose) Combine them.
- Pour your hot water into a large shallow dish. You want it to be warm but not scalding. You need to be able to place your fingers into it without screaming.
- One sheet at a time, dip the rice paper into the water for about 5-8 seconds until just malleable.
- Place a scoop of the filling in the middle of the rice paper and fold them like you would a burrito (fold one side in, then the bottom up to the middle, then the other side, then the top.)
- Repeat step 5 and 6 until you run out of filling.
- Wipe the tops of each spanakopita with butter, coconut oil, or egg wash.
- Bake until golden, about 25 minutes, then flip and bake until the other side is golden.
- Let them cool- or don’t. Totally worth burning your tongue for.
Enjoy! If you like these, you should also try Rice Paper Bourekas.