Or Shakshuco if you will!
A perfect blend of Shakshuka and Huevos Rancheros- these are my new breakfast go to! After seeing that Jamie from Everything Delish made Shakshuka toast it got me thinking about a gluten free alternative. I love breakfast tacos more than anything and if I’m not eating tacos I’m probably eating Shakshuka so I am just shocked it took me this long to make this pairing.
It's shakshuka, it's a taco…IT'S BOTH!
Servings: 5 Tacos
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 can Mutti crushed tomatoes
- 5 eggs
- 5 corn tortillas
- garnishes of choice: herbs, cheese, etc
- Add the olive oil to a skillet and begin to heat the pan on medium heat.
- Add in the finely chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and simmer until transclucent.
- Add in the spices and stir together so the onions are coated. Let the spices toast for a minute or so.
- Pour in your crushed tomatoes and bring the sauce to a strong simmer.
- Lower the heat so the sauce is at a light simmer. Using a spoon, make a small indent in the sauce and crack an egg into the indent. Repeat with all 5 eggs (or as many will fit in your skillet- you need one per taco)
- Cover the skillet and let the eggs poach in the sauce until the reach your desired consistency. I prefer my egg yolks to be just slightly jammy but you could serve the softer or more cooked.
- In the toaster oven, toast your tortiallas so they become slighty firm but not so crunchy you can't fold them. This takes about 2 mins on 180 degrees C. I like to add crumbled feta cheese to mine while the toast.
- Once the tortillas are warmed and the eggs are cooked, scoop one egg and sauce into each tortilla. Garnish with cheese, herbs, or red pepper flakes and enjoy!
Looking for more breakfast inspiration? My most popular recipe is for rice paper bourekas!