My Bubby has been making mandle bread since well before I was born. She used to sneak them into the bottom of the popcorn grab bags she smuggled into movie theaters for me and my cousins. While she was in Israel we finally tried making them gluten free and they were a huge success at Shabbat dinner!
These breakfast cookies (or anytime cookies) hold a special place in my heart and remind me of mornings cuddled up in a rocking chair listening to her and Gbob tell stories of their childhoods.
Bubby’s Mandle Bread
- 4 eggs
- 4.5 cups קמח כרגיל or gluten free all purpose baking flour – it also works with regular flour or almond flour
- 1 cup oil
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder
- Juice of half a lemon
- Chocolate chips walnuts, almonds, or whatever addition you would like
- Beat the eggs and add in the oil, sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and lemon juice.
- Next, slowly incorporate the flour and baking powder until combined.
- Finally, pour in as many chocolate chips, walnuts, almonds, or other add in as your heart desires.
- Wet your hands well and take 1/3 of the dough and place it in a log shape on the baking sheet.
- Repeat twice more leaving space in between the three logs.
- Start the first bake- on 350 F for 20-23 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Once cool, slice the logs into small strips and place lines up on the baking sheet.
- Bake again for 7-10 minutes or until golden and crunchy.
- Best served with tea or coffee.
My other favorite Bubby recipe gone gluten free, Amaretto Cake!