My Bubby is known in our family for her bundt cakes- my favorites being the amaretto and wine flavors, of course. This year for Rosh Hashanah I decided to adapt her recipe to make it gluten free and parve!
For anyone who doesn’t know, amaretto is a sweet liquor with a strong almond flavor which makes for decadent desserts!
Ingredients: (makes two small cakes)
- 1 cup butter (I used margarine)
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour (or regular flour) (more if needed, depending on the gluten free flour used it can take up to 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup amaretto
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 2 small apples finely chopped
- 1 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp amaretto
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine the all purpose flour, almond flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the sugars, butter, milk, vanilla extract, and amaretto. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until smooth.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Add in the apples, finely chopped.
- Pour the batter into your silicone bundt pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- When the cake is done- allow it to cool while you make the topping by combining the sugar, amaretto, honey, and milk. Place in the fridge for about 30 mins to thicken a bit.
- Once the cake is cool, pour the glaze over top and sprinkle on the toasted almonds. (alternatively you can poke holes in the cake while its hot and pour the glaze over top so it seeps into the entire cake.)
- Place flowers in the hole of the cake (if that is your thing) and enjoy!
And of course you can’t make a bundt cake without a tribute to the greatest movie of all time: