Purim is one of my favorite Jewish holidays because it not only gives me an excuse to dress up and drink wine but I also LOVE giving out Mishloach Manot (packages of food traditionally given out on Purim.) Once I found out I have Celiac, I created this recipe Oznei Haman and I have been using it to make gluten free Hamentashen ever since.
These yummy pastries (called Hamen’s Ears in Hebrew) which date back to at least the 1500’s brought rise to a myth that Hamen’s ears were cut off before he was hung! While there is no proof of that, and I grew up learning they were meant to symbolize his hat, I sure am happy that the tradition began.
Gluten Free Hamentashen
Otherwise known as “f***ing unreal” by my friends. These are so easy and delicious plus I promise you can’t even tell they don’t have gluten in them.
Servings: 16 Cookies
- 2 cups gluten free baking flour (with xanthum gum or add 1/2 tsp)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 100 grams butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- In a bowl cream together the sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, and egg.
- Add in the flour and combine until a slightly sticky dough forms.
- Cover the dough a place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Once the dough is cold preheat the oven and then flour a surface or parchment power and roll the dough out into a thing sheet.
- Using a cookie cutter or a round glass cut out small circle shapes.
- Place 1 tsp of your choice filling (chocolate spread, jam, etc) in the middle.
- Using two fingers pinch one side together to make a corner. Repeat twice so you have a three cornered cookie.
- Wet your fingers and smooth the corners to ensure no spillage of the filling.
- Put the shaped hamentaschen back into the fridge for 10 minutes to set into their shape
- Bake on 180 degrees C for about 12 mins or until golden.
- Enjoy! Try not to eat them all before you share them in your mishloach manot!
Alternative idea: add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder to the batter and fill them with marscapone cheese filling. Filling: 2 tbsp Marscapone Cheese 1 tsp vanilla Optional: add gluten free mini chocolate chips to the cheese filling.
Looking for something more savory? How about these!