I was recently at a seudah shlishit when I saw these delicious chocolate covered dates on the table. I bit into the date and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was stuffed with tachina- a heavenly combination. I didn’t have the original recipe so I played around with them and came up with this easy, delicious dessert.
These also go great on a snack platter with cheese and my easy vegan crackers!
- 1 box of dates
- 1/2 cup tachina
- 3 tbsps water
- 1 tbsp silan
- 1 dark chocolate bar I recommend 70-80% dark
- Salt / sesame / chopped nuts / other toppings of choice
- Slice the dates open but be sure not to cut them all the way in half.
- Remove the pits.
- Mix the tachina and water (one tbsp at a time) until it turns into a thick but whipped texture. You may need more or less depending on what tachina you are using.
- Once its a nice whipped texture, add in the silan.
- Fill each date with the tachina mixture and place onto a plate.
- Stick the plate in the freezer and wait about 30 minutes to an hour, or until the filling sets.
- Chop the chocolate, I prefer a bitter chocolate to balance the sweetness of the date. Melt in in a double boiler or the microwave.
- Take the dates and roll them in the chocolate. You can leave them plain or sprinkle on sesame seeds, salt, or another topping of choice.
- Place back in the freezer for the chocolate to harden- about 15-20 minutes or more.